What Is The Great American Buy Local?
There are about 30 million small businesses in the United States, representing 99% of the companies in our country. These businesses employ about 57 million employees in America, which represents nearly 50% of the workforce! Our country runs on small businesses and the people that work for them.
The Great American Buy Local Day began as a yearly initiative to support small businesses. On April 7th, all Americans are encouraged to shop local, get a service done, buy gift cards, give positive reviews online, refer friends to the small businesses in their communities, and support local businesses in other creative ways. There is always something you can do to help these businesses, even from your own home.
A Few Ways You Can Support A Local Business
- Get a vehicle serviced or repaired
- Shop at a locally-owned grocery store
- Order take-out or delivery from a locally-owned restaurant
- Give a positive online review of a local business
- Complete interior or exterior home renovations
- Order products from a locally-owned business and have them delivered or do a drive-by pickup
The first event on April 7, 2020 was a huge success and set the stage for years to come. The grassroots effort reached over 12 million people in over 27 states. People from around the United States did their part and you can too! However, you don’t have to limit your support to a single day!
We encourage you to support small businesses as often as you can. They need our help now more than ever. Buying local doesn’t only strengthen the economy, but it supports families and communities.